Sections in this article
Project 529 is a small team of cycling enthusiasts who wish to use their affinity for building technology to help enhance the cycling/outdoor experience. Our first order of business: an app called the 529 Garage, a bike registry and theft report and recovery system.
What is the 529 Garage
The 529 Garage is an iOS/Android mobile application and website service to easily:
- Register your bike in a database that will work world wide
- Report your bike in the event of a theft and notify the 529 Community
- Send your registration info to police and insurance in the event of theft or damage
- Search the database to ensure that a bike you are purchasing has not been reported missing
- View the Hot Sheet of other missing bikes in your area, to keep a look out for them
- Print registration cards and missing posters
- Connect to fellow cyclists if you spot a missing bike
- Transfer the registration of your bike in the event of a sale
- Solve registry or parking software needs if you have a large population of bikes to manage, i.e. universities, rental properties, bike shops, etc.
- Upgrade a ‘local’ bike registry to a hosted solution with advanced capabilities
Where did the name Project 529 come from?
The genesis of “529” goes back about 15 years… a group of us were all working (too much at our) corporate jobs. We started a mountain biking team for “therapy” and to create a focus away from the day job. So, the name “Project 529” was counterbalance to our 9-to-5 day jobs: 5-to-9 being the important hours of the day. We ended up calling the team the 529 Legion and later, after the infuriating theft incident, called the service 529 Garage.